Activities, events and free programming at the Greater Conroe Arts Festival
CONROE, TX – The annual Greater Conroe Arts Festival, featuring free, family-friendly arts activities and events, will be held Saturday, March 19, 2022 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in historic downtown Conroe, with local and Texas artists representing all genres. Arts. The event is presented by the Greater Conroe Arts Alliance, comprised of 18 Montgomery County arts organizations that represent the performing and visual arts. Festival events will continue throughout the day.
“Come spend the day with us at the Greater Conroe Arts Festival on Saturday, March 19,” said Judi Lanza, President of the Greater Conroe Arts Alliance. “It will be a day when the whole family can come and find something fun to do. Whether it’s listening to music, watching an artist paint, helping build a giant Lego robot, painting on a community art mural, or trying some great food in the one of our many food trucks. Plus, you can enter our festival photo contest and visit our raffle/auction tent for a chance to win a basket full of prizes, plus festival painted artwork by award-winning artists! There will be something for everyone at the Greater Conroe Arts Festival!
Activities and events include:
- Conroe Art League ‘CAL National Art Show’ on display in the gallery;
- Food Trucks – Taste the Asian, HannaB’s, Conroe Party, Cajun Creole, Spud-N-Up, Karissa’s Cake in a Jar, HeBrews Coffee, Lemonade King, Kettle Corn King
- The Main Street Market will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Live performances on stage all day at Founders Plaza, including The Conroe Symphony, Jazz Connection, The Art of Music Studio, Indie Films, guitarist Sean Chilson, and more.
- fine art dealers;
- Museum exhibitions and activities;
- Community Involvement Art Mural – Painting with award-winning artist Vickie Hayes;
- Live Model Painting with Award Winning Artists Juan Cantavella, Susan Hotard, Hilda Lockley, Lenore Prudhomme and Hannah Wu – Visit the Live Model Painting and Tent Gallery with art for sale
- Scenes painted live from the festival and downtown Conroe with award-winning Plein Air artists Nancy Paris Pruden and impressionist painter Fran Ellisor, plus Lisabeth Geis, Pam Markham, Diane Williams and friends;
- Silent auction for all works painted at the Festival;
- Pottery demonstrations with artist Carol Berger
- Pottery Bowl Making Activity with Artist Carol Roach
- Children’s Art Village:
- Take-Away Kids Art Project with Rebekah Billings;
- Collaborative kid’s 8 ft. x 4 ft Participation Art Mural in Kid’s Art Village;
- Music Petting Zoo – The Art of Music Studio – School of Music & Arts in Kid’s Art Village;
- Lego Build-a-long for all ages – help build a giant Lego sculpture:
- Take pictures with Anna and Elsa from Frozen with Christian Youth Theatre;
- Fine Arts Raffle, Tickets to the Crighton, Owen and CYT Theatre, Conroe Symphony Orchestra, Tickets to GCAA Member Concerts and Events, Summer Music Camp Tuition for kids and teens, limited edition festival glasses and more!
- Poetry by Lupe Mendez, winner of the 2022 Texas State Poet Award at CAL Gallery at 4:00 p.m.;
- Street chalk artists including Sylvia Blanco, Claudia Cepeda and Elizabeth Umanzor
- Photo competition :
- 1st Prize $200, 2nd Prize $50 and IFF Online Class (Indie Films Foundation), 3rd Prize IFF Online Class. Awards ceremony for the best of the best at 4:30 p.m.
- Bring your camera or even your smart phone and snap some photos of this year’s event. Your palette is anything and anyone at Conroe’s downtown festival park. We’re looking for the best photography that shows what’s unique and fun about this GCAA event.
- Check in at the Indie Films Foundation booth on Saturday, March 19. The contest starts at 10 a.m. and ends at 3 p.m. with prizes awarded to the best of the best at 4:30 p.m. that day. This is an opportunity for photographers of all levels to compete and contribute with their best images to local recognition.
- Photographs will be judged on framing, composition, creative use of light and subject matter.
- Finalists will be chosen from photographers who capture the essence of the Festival, including human activities and interactions. Come and practice your creative photography during the festival and be part of the show!
Tenderly, the musical Rosemary Clooney at 2:00 p.m. at the Owen Theater, buy your tickets HERE
The Musical Rosemary Clooney offers a fresh, remarkably personal and poignant image of the woman whose unrivaled talent and unbridled personality made her a legend. In Tenderly, Rosemary Clooney’s journey begins with her simple childhood in Kentucky and follows her rise to Hollywood stardom. With his signature songs woven in and out, we learn both the story of his film, radio and television successes, as well as his struggles in his personal life – with a career fading with the advent of rock-and-roll and its struggle with personal relationships and depression. The audience stands and applauds, rejoicing in her triumphant return and even more successful career as a jazz singer. It features many of Ms. Clooney’s iconic hits, including “Hey There (You with the Stars in your Eyes)”, “Tenderly” and “Come On-A My House”.
Marcia Ball at 8:00 p.m. at the Crighton Theatre, buy your tickets HERE
Marcia Ball will be live in concert on Saturday, March 19 at 8 p.m. at the historic Crighton Theatre! Plus, enjoy a great pre-show at 7:30 p.m. with guitarist Sean Chilson and Judi Lanza & friends! Doors open at 7:00 p.m.
The Texas-born, Louisiana-raised musical storyteller has gained worldwide acclaim for her ability to spark a full-scale rhythm and blues party every time she walks on stage. Her groove-laden New Orleans boogie, deeply moving ballads and driving Gulf Coast blues have made her a one-of-a-kind favorite with music fans everywhere.
The Festival will be held at Conroe Founders Plaza, 205 Metcalf St, Conroe, TX 77301.
For more information, visit Greaterconroeartsalliance.com.
The Greater Conroe Arts Alliance is a collaborative non-profit organization whose mission is to actively promote and support arts and cultural organizations and events throughout the Greater Conroe area. The Alliance believes that participating in and supporting the arts is an investment that improves the whole community economically while providing an uplifting and fulfilling cultural experience for all.